Song To Start Your Week

‘Hammer to Fall’ by Queen

Liven the looming end of summer with this Queen classic

• 0
STSYW

The very worst thing about the summertime is its inevitably crashing end. Every year, we try and outrun the longer shadow of shorter days, and every year it comes down all around our heads. Nothing livens that looming end like Queen’s “Hammer to Fall.”

A refreshing cry of rock and roll, “Hammer to Fall” features a classic Queen performance of operatic spectacle, shredded electric guitar, dancing bass, and raised voices with something passionate to say. Freddie Mercury wails and warns of an awesome and powerful end, prophetically calling on everyone who knows it’s only a matter of time before the hammer falls. 

Despite the gloom and doom of their words, the tone of the song doesn’t match its lyrics. The song builds and builds, but never actually falls. “Hammer to Fall” keeps our blood pumping as it goes and fights through the whole song. Queen wants us to raise our voices and fight too — to scream this anthem, “louder and louder and louder,” to the end of our summer days.

“Hammer to Fall” was never meant to complain or to dread; it was meant to rally and to scream. It’s a fight song through and through, reminding us to do all we can while we still can. So this summer, make sure “you don’t waste no time at all” just waiting for that hammer to fall. 

Reach contributing writer John Lee at development@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JohnLee69595064