Summer music preview

Albums to look out for in the sunshine

• 0

So far, 2019 has been one of my favorite years for new music, from the funky, introspective world of Toro y Moi’s “Outer Peace” to the gut-wrenching soundscapes of The Japanese House’s “Good At Falling” to the weird, but sort of genius twang of Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road.” Needless to say, this year has already been a musical journey, and the albums scheduled to be released this summer should make this journey even more exciting for music listeners of all genres.

Two Door Cinema Club, “False Alarm”

The northern Irish trio is back with what I expect to be another vibrant, thrilling record that will, frankly, just make listeners want to jump around everywhere and shout the lyrics at the top of their lungs. (Seriously, play “Something Good Can Work” or “What You Know” in a room full of people and just see what happens). This essential indie-pop group dropped three singles preceding the release of their new album: “Talk,” “Satellite,” and “Dirty Air.” Fans of the band will certainly be thrilled by its plans to embark on an international tour this summer and fall following the release of their album. “False Alarm” drops June 14.

Iron & Wine and Calexico, “Years to Burn”

Existential folk meets Americana twang with the collaborative artistry of singer-songwriter Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) and indie-rock duo Joey Burns and John Convertino (Calexico). The two collaborated on an EP in 2005 called “In The Reins” and have recently reconnected to create this highly-anticipated project that is sure to leave coffee-drinkers and poetry-writers feeling extremely spiritually fulfilled. The album is scheduled to drop June 14.

The Black Keys, “Let’s Rock”

One of the most classic blues-rock duos (what I like to call a “dad band”) has reconnected after nearly five years to produce their newest studio album. Drummer Patrick Carney called the album an “homage to the electric guitar” in a recent interview with Pitchfork, which only makes me that much more excited to hear the smooth riffs and solos of guitarist and frontman Dan Auerbach on this album. “Let’s Rock” comes out June 28.

Chance the Rapper

Soul-rapper Chancellor Bennett, known as Chance the Rapper, has been awfully quiet since the release of his debut album “Coloring Book” in 2016, save for the few singles he released last summer and earlier this year. While not much has been confirmed about Chance’s new project, recent Instagram posts and tweets have been cryptically teasing the drop of his second full-length album, and it’s rumored to be coming to us sometime in July.

The Lumineers, “III”

The All-American folk band previewed their upcoming studio album with the new single “Gloria,” a testament to the cinematic stories told by Wesley Schultz, Jeremiah Fraites and Lauren Jacobson. Though I’m not sure if anything else the band releases will beat “Cleopatra” for me, “III” will no doubt keep us listening to see how the story ends. It drops September 13.

Personally, I’m stoked for what’s to come this summer. The release of new music with the changing seasons gives us an opportunity to examine how our favorite artists are evolving and refresh our summer soundtracks.

Reach contributing writer Soraya Marashi at development@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @sorayamarashi