Latest from Ask the Experts

• 0

VPNs are remarkable things. Using secure and encrypted connections, they can create a private network (a virtual private network — that’s what “VPN” stands for) walled off from the broader internet. This allows workers to collaborate online without risking the loss of sensitive corporate mat…

More from Ask the Experts

• 0

My professor always told us that we need to sleep more because it positively impacts the brain. But he never elaborated on how sleep actually affects the brain. How important is sleep for the brain, learning and our general lifestyle?

• 0

I’ve started my first semester of college, but my lack of writing skills is really holding me back. When a professor has the class write a paper, I completely dread the idea. My writing has always been horrid, and I am afraid that it will have a serious negative impact on my grades.

• 0

Most people are already well aware that regular exercise is an important part of health and fitness. However, there are huge numbers of people who fail to get the level of exercise they need. This is something that can have a huge impact on their health and wellbeing. Exercise is important f…

• 0

I’ve just been hired for a new office job. I’m excited about the position, and I think that I’ll do well. But I’m worried about appearances. This is my first office job, and I’m not sure how to dress. Do you have any tips or advice?

• 0

I have a friend at school who is one of the best friends I've ever had. From the moment I showed up on campus and met him, we've been practically inseparable. We share a lot of interests, and one of those interests is definitely drinking.

• 0

I love being in college, but I don’t love my living situation. Sometimes it’s great to be in close quarters with roommates and friends, but at other times, my dorm room can feel way too small. Even worse for me is the fact that the room always looks so cheap and run-down. It’s not that my do…

• 0

I’m a rising high school senior facing the crisis everyone my age goes through: college applications! I’ve always known I’ve wanted to go to college and pursue higher education. I started out considering a psychology degree, but more recently I’ve realized that my interest is in criminal jus…

• 0

I’m a college student with an idea for a startup. My partners and I are now at a point where we need to raise some capital. We’ve exhausted our network of friends and family, and we’ve also poured our own savings into the business. But we still have a way to go before we reach our funding goal.

• 0

I just started college and am in my first semester. My classmates are great, I am living in a dorm, but I am noticing that everyone has terrible health habits. People are smoking, no one sleeps and my friends will eat anything that is put in front of their faces.

• 0

My sister is on the school’s field hockey team, and they’re looking for new and creative ways to raise money for the team. If they’re successful, their ideas may also be used by other sports teams. Aside from the usual candy selling, how else can they raise money for their teams?

• 0

By now, you’ve no doubt heard plenty about the benefits of therapy. It can help you work through difficult issues in the short-term, but it also gives you helpful tools to cope with events that may occur in the future. Good therapy can change your thinking and give you a new perspective on t…

• 0

I’ve been shopping around for vehicles, and I’ve decided that I want to purchase a car from a private seller. I’ve already found one that I like, but I’m worried about going through with the purchase. A friend of mine told me stories of how people buy cars from private sellers and they turn …

• 0

I’ve always considered myself a crafty person. I’ve always enjoyed the process of creating things, and I’ve dabbled in just about every area of crafting you can think of. A lot of my friends comment on how I should be selling the things that I make. But I’m really not sure where to start or …

• 0

I have always been interested in online privacy, and I have taken steps to help keep my browsing anonymous. One step I have taken is using PureVPN’s service because I heard that the company uses a no-log audit system. But some people have been saying that they’re not sure if the company’s no…

• 0

Life at university can be fun and exciting, but it is also important to keep yourself grounded and remember why you are there in the first place. When you are at university, it can be very tough to keep your mind on your studies with so much going on all the time. However, it is vital that y…

• 0

There are a lot of things you need to think about as a business owner, and one of the most important is to assess the best ways of marketing your company more effectively moving forward. There are a lot of things that play a part in the process of improving your company, and this is somethin…

• 0

I recently inherited my grandmother’s mobile home, and I plan to live in it instead of living on campus to save money. It’s in good condition, but I’d really love to make it look more like a stick-built home. Is there a way to make a manufactured home look more like a site-built home?

• 0

I work for a small startup, and my boss said that we’re all going to be using a VPN from now on for all of our laptops. We're a small tech company with a unique product that is about to hit market, and I didn’t want to be the only one in the group not to know what a VPN’s benefits were.

• 0

In recent years, Americans didn’t use 705 million vacation days, which is a huge mistake. Beyond the obvious desire to use the time that your company has given you, you should also feel compelled to treat yourself to a little rest and relaxation. When you do use those precious vacation days,…

• 0

My fiancé and I just purchased a home together. We want to live off campus and get a head start on home ownership before we graduate college. We love the house, but it’s a major fixer-upper. Do the experts have any tips for renovating an old home?

• 0

I’m in my second year of college, and I have already accumulated over $7,000 in student loan debt. A lot of my friends seem to be ignoring the issue with the goal of being able to pay off their debt when they get out of college, but it’s starting to become a major concern of mine.

• 0

Online security seems to focus heavily on businesses, but how can I increase my own personal security online? I have received countless notifications from Credit Karma about my email address being included in data breaches, and my social media accounts have been hacked before.

• 0

I’m a photographer who is looking to branch out on my own. I've been working on my portfolio, and I have my website up and running. People can buy prints through my website or my Etsy shop, but I’m still working out the kinks in my marketing plan.

• 0

Everyone has been stuck behind a car accident on the freeway at some point. In fact, accidents and other traffic disturbances are one of the leading causes of roadway congestion. But while getting stuck behind a bad accident is frustrating, it’s much worse to be in one of the cars involved i…

• 0

The great outdoorsman is one who, in the wild, leverages all the tools at his disposal. There are tools that are mostly used for the outdoors, but some tend to get overlooked. One such tool is the fillet knife. Fillet knives have long been synonymous with fish, and it’s easy to think that it…

• 0

For some, talking about sexually transmitted disease (STD’s also referred to as sexually transmitted infections or STIs) in general, whether it be on the first date or even the 12th, is not something that comes naturally. No one really wants discuss such a topic, but it’s important to know t…

• 0

I know that cremation involves reducing your body to ash after you’ve died, but the thought of planning a funeral and making these sorts of decisions is very discomforting. Because of this, I worry that I’m overlooking important factors in the cremation process. What should I think about whe…

• 0

I’ve been having trouble in the bedroom, and my doctor recently diagnosed me with erectile dysfunction. I’m still a relatively young guy, so I’ve been wondering what could cause this to happen? My friend who has a similar problem has been taking Kamagra that he bought online. Can this drug h…

• 0

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is something that I have been struggling with for years. My doctor has examined me, and while I do not have diabetes or hypertension, I have been diagnosed with ED which makes me cringe every time I am ready to sleep with someone.

• 0

I’m reviewing my car insurance because it’s my most expensive bill every month. I am paying over $3,000 per year for my insurance, and I’m wondering how much coverage I really need. I am slightly over the required coverage limits, but I am wondering if it is a necessity to keep this level of…

• 0

I have a real passion for technology, and I have a prototype for a software-as-a-service business that has a lot of interest in the enterprise space. My biggest issue is that I don’t have the time or resources to push my idea forward with work and my other commitments.

• 0

I have a small online business that was rapidly growing through word-of-mouth and search engine optimization, but sales have stagnated. I have a supplier that offers a unique product, and I have it priced perfectly to make sales because I have arranged a high discount from the supplier.

• 0

Dear experts: I’m a small business owner, and we’re just starting out. I’m setting my sights on growing and expanding, but I need some guidance for making the right investments for the needs of the business. I don’t want to waste my time or money on marketing strategies that don’t work. Can …

• 0

I’ve been working as a freelancer for a few years. Normally, I don’t have a problem paying my taxes on time and in the full amount. But I recently ran into some financial trouble, and now I have tax debt.

• 0

I have a few friends who consider themselves social media influencers. They make most of their money through their social network accounts, and they really enjoy what they do. I’m a social media junkie, so I’d love to be able to make money this way. I’m just not sure where to start. How do y…

• 0

I recently upgraded my phone and got a new laptop for the start of the year. Usually, I give my old phones and electronics away to my little brother, but he just got a new phone for his birthday. I don’t want to throw them away, but I don’t know anyone who can use them.

• 0

I’m in a financial bind, and I’m looking to borrow money to get the cash I need. A lender has offered me an installment loan, but I’m a bit confused about these types of loans. Is it similar to a personal loan through the bank? Can you explain how installment loans work?

• 0

My good friend suffered from a spinal cord injury, and it is consuming me wondering what she will go through after her accident. I want to be prepared to be able to help her in any way that I can to make her life more comfortable.

• 0

I graduated, and I am excited to start my new life as an adult. My grades were good all throughout my academic life, but now I am starting to think about moving out on my own. The problem is that I have $500 a month in student loan payments that need to be made.

• 0

People who come up with a brilliant idea for a new invention are often excited and hopeful about what the future holds for them. Indeed, the future can be extremely exciting for those that have genius ideas – however, it can also be very stressful during the earlier stages, particularly for …

• 0

My parents are away on vacation, and I’m in charge of taking care of their pool. I’ve been busy with summer classes and meeting deadlines at work that I’ve been slacking on cleaning and maintaining the pool. Now, the water is green.

• 0

I’ve been using the campus Wi-Fi lately to work on some projects, but I also use it for my own personal web browsing. I know that it’s a public network, so I’m worried about my privacy. How can I protect my browsing habits and my privacy online?

• 0

I have an embarrassing problem that I’ve been dealing with since I was a teenager girl: facial hair. The biggest problem area is my upper lip. I typically pluck the hairs out with tweezers, but it’s painful, tedious and time-consuming. Is there any other way to get rid of my facial hair?

• 0

I’m your typical college student. I study a lot. I work hard. I’m socializing a lot, but it seems like I have been zapped of all of my energy in recent weeks. Being tired is an understatement. My weekend consists of lying in bed sleeping rather than going out and socializing or even studying.