My cousin was born in Spain, and he has always dreamed of moving to the United States. He recently started researching his options, but he has heard that it’s almost impossible to get a work visa under the Trump Administration.

I would be willing to help him in any way that I can, but I’m not familiar with the immigration process or visas.

I always thought it would be easier for him to get a visa because he has family living here. But I am finding out that that’s no longer true. Is it possible for my cousin to get into the US on a worker’s visa? Should he just give up?

Immigrants are flocking to the US, with immigrant worker demand increasing. The Trump Administration is calling for a halt to immigration at the Southern border, but there’s good news. We consulted with experts and found that there are H-2B visa options available. 

“The government plans to issue 30,000 additional H-2B visas above the annual cap of 66,000,” explains the Law Offices of Cheng, Cho, & Yee. “While this might seem incongruous with the administration’s claims that the country is too full, low rates of unemployment are leaving employers in Illinois and elsewhere without enough workers to fill their jobs. The H-2B visa program is a legal way for foreign workers to legally work in the U.S. in non-agricultural seasonal jobs such as construction, restaurants, and tourism."

Spain is one of the countries that is eligible to have their citizens apply for the H-2B visa.

The visa is temporary, and the person will have to work on other ways to be able to stay in the country long-term. Your cousin can apply for the visa, and it’s available to both skilled and unskilled, non-agricultural workers.

Under the rules of the visa, your cousin may be a spouse or child into the US, too. 

The visa is valid for one-year, but if the employer is able to prove that they need your cousin’s services for longer, the visa can be extended yearly. Extensions are difficult, and they’re not automatic.

The visa can be extended to a maximum of three years.

If your cousin can qualify for the visa, it’s often the fastest option to get into the US. But your cousin can also obtain a green card through family or employment. Your best option is to go to an immigration attorney who will discuss all of your cousin’s options with you.

You can help your cousin by sponsoring them. A family member can sponsor another family member from overseas, or an employer can sponsor your cousin. If your cousin is able to obtain the H-2B visa, he should look for a sponsor that is an employer – this will help with the green card process.

Permanent residency is difficult and will take a lot of time to obtain.

It's important that your cousin doesn’t enter the US through a visa and stay in the country after the visa expires. Overstaying on your visa may lower your cousin’s chances of becoming a permanent resident.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.