chicken broth with dried crust

Chicken soup has been the go-to cure for illnesses of all kinds for mothers and grandmothers throughout history. Chicken soup really does have beneficial and curative effects for all kinds of ailments and can help your immune system fight off pathogens, but chicken bone broth has even more beneficial effects. Here is what you need to know about why chicken bone broth is so healthy for you.

Differences Between Chicken Broth And Stock

The standard way to make chicken soup is to brown chicken in a pan and then add it to a stockpot or Crock-Pot with other ingredients such as vegetables, spices, and herbs and slow simmer until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone and the liquid has somewhat thickened. The liquid in chicken soup is known as chicken broth.

Chicken stock, on the other hand, is made by simmering chicken bones, connective tissues, and feet until most of the smaller bones and connective tissues are dissolved, resulting in stock so thick that it is solid when chilled in the refrigerator.

Chicken bone broth is similar to stock in that it is simmered for a long period until dissolved and that it involves bones, connective tissues, and feet, but chicken bone broth is even heavier in bone content than stock.

Why Chicken Bone Broth Is Better

Chicken soup is delicious and nutritious, but because it is not concentrated in bones and connective tissue and almost never includes the feet, you are missing out on some essential nutrients that can be found in chicken bone broth.

Essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6 are both found in chicken bones. The bones are also rich in a wide array of minerals and vitamins. The connective tissue and feet utilized in chicken bone broth is rich in collagen, which has benefits in aiding your digestive system as well as aiding in joint health by helping to build the padding between joints.

How To Make Chicken Bone Broth

Are you wondering how you can turn your standard chicken soup recipe into bone broth superfood? For most people, the hard part is collecting sufficient bones for this bone-heavy recipe and devoting the time to simmering.

You’ll want to use organic chicken in order to be confident that your broth is as wholesome as possible. Here is what you need to know about making chicken bone broth that puts your grandmother's chicken soup to shame.

1. Use every part of a chicken carcass with meat removed. Include bones, connective tissues, joints, and feet. You may be able to use more than one chicken.
  2. Blanch the bones. Blanching bones helps the nutrients draw out of the chicken and improves taste. Boil bones and then submerge them in cold water to stop the cooking process. If you'd like to keep it simple, you can skip this step.
  3. Roast the bones. After blanching, you can roast the bones in the oven for approximately 45 minutes at about 450 degrees until they are a golden color. This improves the taste but isn't necessary.
  4. Place the chicken bones into a large pot, top it off with water, and add acid. Chicken bones should be generously covered since large amounts of water will evaporate the mixture simmers. An acid such as apple cider vinegar helps the bones to release their nutrients, so be sure to add at least two tablespoons or so to the mixture.
  5. Season your broth. Seasoning helps the broth to taste great and adds additional nutrients. Veggies such as celery, onions, and carrots are great options, and sea salt and pepper, as well as herbs like thyme and bay leaves, will improve the taste.
  6. Bring your water to a boil and then down to a simmer and continue simmering for up to 24 hours. Simmering your broth for at least 24 hours will give time for the collagen to dissolve down into gelatin and for all of the nutrients to be sucked from the bone and marrow.
  7. Strain.  Strain your broth with a mesh strainer to remove all of the bones and remaining chunks, as well as the limp vegetables and seasonings. This step should be performed before eating or storing the broth.

Skip The Cooking

If you are convinced that in the debate betweenchicken broth vs. stock,  bone broth simmered over long periods is the clear winner, but you don't want to devote all of the time and energy that it takes in order to create this wonderful superfood, you'll be glad to know that you can buy high-quality chicken bone broth which will taste amazing and be great for your body.