Winter is on the Way

• 0
Art Building

Temperatures are dropping, leaves are nearly gone, and the sun is setting earlier and earlier each day, making sketching outdoors an increasingly difficult ordeal. The wind blows against me more, ruffling the pages of my sketchbook. The dry air dries the tips of my pens out quicker. And the cold temperatures numb my fingers, making it nearly impossible to draw for an extended amount of time. Gloves are a necessity for this time of year.

I am taking every opportunity I can to draw outside before it becomes so cold and wet that I have to retreat inside to cafes and other cozy spots around campus to sketch. Not to mention, as the daylight hours shorten, the amount of time there is to sketch becomes more and more difficult.

As the colorful leaves begin to fall off the trees, their scraggly and twisting limbs become exposed. While it does make for more labor intensive sketches, the linework, lights, and shadows for me become exponentially more interesting.

Wish me luck as I brave the cold as Seattle transitions into winter.

Until the next sketch,

Reach The Campus Sketcher Eli Pasco at illustrations@dailyuw.com

Instagram: the_campus_sketcher