ASUW_CMYK_WEB.jpg

The focus on elections and term conclusions kept the ASUW board of directors’ (BOD) meeting relatively brief Thursday, May 10. Each BOD member summarized their progress on personal projects since the last meeting and also shared their goals before handing their roles over to the next ASUW team. 

Voting closed May 11 at 5 p.m., and results were announced later in the evening.

Alison Greenwood, the special projects manager for UW Recreation, presented during the public forum. She provided updates on plans for an all-gender locker room and general renovations to the IMA pool, in accordance with senate bill R-24-12.

Greenwood shared that separate locker rooms would remain, but the pool would expand with a new area. The gender-neutral space would incorporate universal design and individual changing spaces to emphasize family accessibility as well. These goals presented thems elves through survey results based on community values, according to Greenwood. 

A large portion of the meeting focused on ASUW board bills 2.42 through 2.52, which officially appointed new staff for student agencies ranging from the Rainy Dawg Radio to the Student Food Cooperative.

With many transitions on the horizon, the BOD set standards for how they want to prepare their successors. Part of this will include updates to internal documents as well as relationships with other organizations. 

Senate vice chair Madison Kunzman brought senate bill R-24-27 to the board’s attention. The bill pushes for alternative methods of submitting assignments, obtaining credit for participation, and even taking exams in cases of student illness or other inaccessibility. Though the bill passed with 52 votes in favor, only one against, and three abstaining (of those present), some still have questions.

Navid Azodi, director of university affairs, expressed concern that the bill was not concrete or clear enough. The expectations for professors to use Canvas, along with unknown statistics of current Canvas use, formed his biggest concern. Azodi also wanted the names of the UW administration staff whose feedback, according to Kunzman, encouraged open-ended legislation that allowed for faculty flexibility. 

The director of diversity efforts, Kendra Canton, focused on feasibility and the fact that the bill is possible to implement before the beginning of the coming school year. 

Kunzman reminded the board that the bill is still not formalized but rather something to consider for the future. 

Giuliana Conti, the secretary for the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS), proposed continued conversation between the ASUW BOD and the GPSS. She pointed out that there are 90 committees on campus geared toward grads which could have great impact if encouraged to work together. Canton suggested meeting with commission directors, beginning with the RSO communities, to communicate internal goals for the school year, then continuing deliberate collaboration through the year. 

Conti asked for feedback on how her group and the board could cooperate more effectively. She acknowledged the need for SafeCampus and Title IX trainings in GPSS, something she admired about the BOD’s training. 

Kunzman’s suggestion involved a giant orientation with, at minimum, the executive teams of both the ASUW and GPSS in attendance rather than just single representatives. 

Vice president Julia Pham spoke to the need of the two groups to understand each other’s administrative structures more intimately, a sentiment that summarized broader ideas for the rest of this school year and continuing into the next. 

Reach reporter Olivia Madewell at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @OliviaGMadewell