UW Athletics cancels all team-wide activities for spring quarter

• 0

The UW Athletic Department announced that it will cancel all team-related activities for all of spring quarter amid fears of COVID-19, effectively ending sports until at least the beginning of the fall season.

The announcement covers all practices and workouts. That includes the football team’s Pro Day and the Spring Game, which, as promised by new head coach Jimmy Lake, was going to be set up as an actual game this year.

“Department leadership and the medical team will continue to assess and monitor the situation and be ready to make appropriate decisions based on guidance from health officials about resuming athletic-related events and activities,” the announcement said.

In an email to student-athletes a day later on March 20, Assistant Athletic Director Jay Hilbrands also announced all ICA training facilities will also close and be unavailable for voluntary individual training. He also promised the UW Athletic Department would continue to assist student-athletes with workout instructions, academic support, and medical consultation. 

"This decision, which is so disappointing for all of us, is being made with the health and well-being of each of you, your peers, our coaches and our staff as our greatest priority," Hilbrands said.

Washington had already seen all of its games canceled last week when the Pac-12 announced March 12 that it was suspending all competition.

The NCAA has also declared a mandatory dead period in recruiting, with coaches forbidden from making or hosting in-person visits with potential recruits until at least April 15.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Sports Editor Andy Yamashita contributed to this report.

Reach Managing Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum