Seema Mody

Waking up early in the morning, Seema Mody is on high alert for the latest business and financial news stories of the day. She drinks her coffee, chats with her sources, and prepares herself for her day at CNBC. 

But long before Mody was a reporter at a major news network, she was a student at the UW.

At the UW, Mody studied biology. Although she “enjoyed the world of research,” she admits that it required hard work and perseverance. During her studies, she spent a lot of nights studying at Odegaard Library. 

When asked to describe her undergraduate interests, she paralleled organic chemistry to a puzzle, with multiple pieces fitting together to reveal the entirety of the image.

“[Biology taught me] that ability to dig through the details and find underlying trends,” Mody said.

While biology and reporting may seem very different, Mody revealed that the change wasn’t sudden at all.

“There wasn’t this mythical founding moment when I knew I wanted to be a journalist,” Mody said. “I was fortunate to be given new opportunities at a young age.”

Mody credits her career as a reporter to people who gave her chances. These opportunities in the reporting industry are what truly allowed her to establish her career and pursue her passion for journalism. 

As an Indian-American woman, Mody believes her heritage has helped rather than hindered her. She noted that her college application essay was about being Indian-American, and said her pride in her heritage is something she values in her work as well as her private life. 

Prior to working in New York for CNBC, Mody was a reporter in Mumbai, India.

“I think it really helped me grow up at a young age,” Mody said.

As an emerging market, India’s economy moves extremely fast, which adds to the difficulty of reporting.

Despite her role in an industry that has been dominated by men, Mody believes that her work as a journalist has never been about challenging gender norms. Instead, journalism has simply allowed her to pursue her interests in global cultures and countries.

“International travel and working abroad [have] been a special part of my story as a journalist,” Mody said. “Whenever I have free time, I’m traveling the world and discovering new places.”

While Mody presents on-air news, she recognizes the importance of digital media.

“It plays such an influential role in how we consume news,” Mody said.

As technology and ways to consume news continue to expand and grow, Mody hopes to stay true to her principles.

“[My goal is to] find and report on interesting international stories that are impacting our American audience,” Mody said.

This comes with the task of helping people understand why particular stories are important and presenting them with the crucial facts they need to know.

In our ever-changing world, the role of journalism and the work of journalists changes with it.

“We’re living through unprecedented times,” Mody said. “It’s a good time to be a journalist.”

Reach contributing writer Rachel Greenwood at development@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @rgreenwood98