featured

UW inauguration day shooting case ends in mistrial

• 0
news

The case of a 2017 inauguration day shooting on campus, related to an event hosted by Milo Yiannopoulos, ended in a mistrial due to the jury being unable to come to a unanimous verdict, according to a report by Komo News.

The accused involved in the case were Elizabeth and Marc Hokoana, who were charged with first and third-degree assault respectively. Elizabeth was accused of shooting Joseph Dukes, a protester allegedly apart of antifa. 

Marc was charged with pepper-spraying people in the crowd. 

Supporters of Trump and Yiannopoulos clashed with counter-protesters at an event organized by the UW College Republicans. 

The shooting, which took place Jan. 20, 2017, originally had a police report filed stating that Dukes was a white supremacist, however others attested that he did not hold these views. 

According to Komo, Dukes did not testify in the case. 

Elizabeth told the jury that Dukes had a knife and charged at her husband, according to The Seattle Times. Eyewitness accounts said this did not happen.

Earlier that day in a Facebook message, Marc commented that he wanted to be physically violent. 

"I can't wait for tomorrow,” Marc wrote on Facebook. “I'm going to the Milo event and if the snowflakes get out off (sic) hand I'm just going to wade through their ranks and start cracking skulls."

Speaking with Komo News, a spokesperson for the King County Prosecutor’s office said that they were unsure if they would re-try the couple. 

Reach Science and News Editor Thelonious Goerz at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @TheloniousGoerz

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here