Transit Advisory: Montlake Boulevard lane closures to delay commuting

• 0
news

According to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), the Montlake Boulevard and State Route (SR) 520 exchange bus lane will be closed, affecting traffic in the area. 

The area was closed nightly between Aug. 1 to 10. 

The closure is a part of a larger project that will continue until July of 2023, which will lead to the construction of a pedestrian bridge over the Montlake interchange. 

520

Transit map of the Montlake 520 exchange.

The closure of the bus lane should affect the traffic in the area but has been minimized to be concentrated on most weekend days. 

Additionally, the project will incorporate continued updates to the road and SR as well as cameras for the public to monitor the progress, and measures to reduce noise.

To accommodate the construction, the bus lane will be closed and the buses heading toward the area will be impacted because of the lack of bus lane priority. 

According to WSDOT, even though the SR 520 will remain open overall, there will be significant upcoming closures, detours, and other closures that will affect the area. 

Residents can get more information on the closures, here.

Reach Science and News Editor Thelonious Goerz at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @TheloniousGoerz