• 0

If you’re a UW student, you’ve no doubt realized that your UW email looks a little different than it did in the past. In July, Google initiated a new update, and a few weeks ago, all Gmail accounts automatically updated to the new look. With this new look came new features, a couple of which…

• 0

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means it’s about time for us out-of-state students to decide if it’s worth it to go home or not.

• 0

Two years ago, the city of Seattle up-zoned the U-District in hopes of staying on top of the explosive growth of the region, and now, the district is beginning to grapple with the opportunities and the consequences.

• 0

I am 20 years old, have lived in Seattle all my life, and until two or so weeks ago, I thought totem poles were an art form indigenous to western Washington. In case you find yourself scratching your head, having believed the same thing, well, news flash: they are not.

• 0

Editor’s note: “How ironic” is a column that aims to explore and critique one of the most recent and relevant sub-cultural phenomenons: the hipster.

• 0

“Yes, it rains a lot in Washington.” “No, I don’t get tired of it.” “Yes, I’ll try and stay dry.”

• 0

The UW and Coca-Cola have been partnered for the past several years for the greater good. At least that is what it says on the UW sponsorship page. The effect of this partnership is inescapable across campus. Coke products have a near monopoly on the shelf space at UW markets and their logo …

• 0

Initiative Measure 1639 (I-1639) is back on the Washington state ballot this November as the only bill in the nation focused on statewide gun regulation, which was revived by the Washington State Supreme Court after being blocked by a Thurston County judge due to questionable petition-signin…

• 0

When you set up an anonymous rape accusation site, there will be questions. When you operate outside the legal means of reporting sexual assault and you do not look further into the allegations than a social media account and word of mouth, there is a possibility that innocent students get d…

• 0

A group of editors at The Daily received an email titled “List of Rapists at UW” late last Wednesday. A few days later, we reported on the a website titled “Make them scared UW,” a list that allows users to accuse people of sexual assault and harassment in the UW community without publicly d…

• 0

This past June, I was able to help out the UW department of communication with its graduation ceremony. Curious about the feelings running through the minds of graduates as they prepared to walk through The Quad and celebrate their achievement, I asked my friends and classmates how they felt. 

• 0

School has officially kicked off. There are now only ten weeks before the quarter is over and we are masterfully regurgitating all the knowledge we've learned all over our finals. At least, that is how we hope it goes. But sometimes unexpected events happen and we fall behind, and one rough …

• 0

All over campus, lurking in the corners of Red Square and by the doors of the HUB, are the ever-present Imperfect Produce stands. Its mission is to reduce food waste by delivering weekly boxes of produce that has been rejected by grocery stores for being “ugly.” They come to students with th…

• 0

The Seattle Freeze is a cultural phenomenon in the Seattle area that describes the general unfriendliness of people in public. Opinion writers weigh in on whether it’s real or not.

• 0

The press and the value of its reporting have been called into question over and over again in the past two years on a nationwide scale as well as a local one. Newspapers have moved entirely to online platforms; some, like Seattle Weekly, cut their staff down to three, and others, like New Y…

• 4

The other day I felt as if the world was about to fall apart. I was late for class like always, since I had come all the way from work in Bellevue. I could not afford to be late, not again. So I made the intelligent decision of parking by Husky Stadium hoping I would not get caught. I had to…

• 0

The end of the school year is on the fringe of right now and I can’t seem to put my finger on how that makes me feel. Some friends I may never see again; those emerging from the trenches of the job market have found a place in their next chapter. But some friends I still have a few moments l…

• 0

If you are like me, when it comes to certain classes, you’ve probably skipped more quiz sections compared to the amount of lectures you have skipped. There are a number of reasons why anyone would skip quiz sections. But in my case, it was because the teaching assistant (TA) I had was not pa…

• 0

On May 15, the UAW 4121, the union that represents Academic Student Employees (ASEs), went on strike. This decision followed failed negotiations between the union and the UW administration Monday, May 14.

• 0

Humanities majors are missing out on undergraduate research because of a lack of funding

• 0

Editor's note: Here at The Daily, we encourage our readers to submit guest editorials and letters to be featured in our Free Speech Friday column. We welcome all voices to contribute positively to campus conversations. Our submission guidelines can be found here.

• 0

• 0

School can undoubtedly be difficult, and purposefully so. The intention is to push students to their limits and show them what they are capable of, while also preparing them for possible challenges beyond the academic setting. This fast-paced, demanding environment provokes a lingering remin…