The UW Career and Internship Center, located in suite 134 of Mary Gates Hall, provides professional development resources for students ranging from incoming undergraduate and graduate students to recent UW graduates for up to 24 months post-graduation. The center is your one-stop shop for help with resumes, internships, job searches, and interviews at any point in your internship, job, or career search.

The center offers one-on-one counseling appointments that can be scheduled through its website, and you have the option to schedule subsequent appointments with the same career counselor. These appointments are a helpful starting point if you want to discuss your career needs and get individualized help. Meeting with a career counselor can be especially helpful for first-year students because you can brainstorm potential registered student organizations to join, explore majors, and start tracking experiences for a resume. Keep in mind that only one appointment can be scheduled at a time.

For resumes, undergraduate students are eligible to receive an online resume review, and all students can come in for 15-minute same-day sessions with a peer adviser. For any students who need more in-depth help, you can schedule a same-day session or appointment with a career counselor. Additionally, all career counselors are certified by Safer Zone training, so they are trained to focus on active listening, to respond to prejudice, and to continue to educate themselves about queerness.

Since scheduled counseling appointments are often booked out two weeks in advance, same-day appointments are better if you need to be seen on shorter notice. Fifteen-minute same-day sessions are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This is an opportunity to discuss a career-related question, work on a resume or cover letter review, and discuss other topics like salary negotiation. To sign-up, go to the Career & Internship Center in person starting at 8 a.m. the day that you want to be seen. These spots normally book up by 1 p.m., so try to go early.

For interview help, students can attend a workshop or interview lab if they want to receive help and leverage the expertise of their peers. If you want more individualized help, you can set up a specific appointment to do a mock interview. The first half of the meeting will be the mock interview itself, and the second half will include a debrief of the responses with a career adviser. Then, you can discuss strategies to improve your interview next time. Once you’ve prepared your interview and polished your interview skills, you can use Handshake, an online recruiting resource. This resource is available to UW students and alumni.

The Career Center also offers workshops year-round that are specific to individual disciplines, such as information about the Science & Engineering Career Fair, as well as events that are open to all majors. During Dawg Daze, there will be specific events focused on on-campus student jobs and strategies to secure an internship.

One resource that students can use at any time is the Career Guide, which has professional development resources such as suggestions for formatting a resume, preparing for an interview, or conducting an informational interview. It also includes some of the material used in the workshops such as self-directed exercises on dependable strengths or reflection questions to prepare for an internship interview. You can get a physical copy from the center during operating hours, or download it online. The Career Center also offers hand-outs related to networking, requesting an informational interview, and polishing your resume.

Ultimately, the Career & Internship Center has resources that students can use during any point in their professional development journey, so be sure to stop by.

Reach writer Aleenah Ansari at specials@dailyuw.comTwitter: @aleenah_ansari