The Washington women’s soccer team, after a hard fought 110 minutes that featured a lopsided shot differential, tied Michigan State 1-1 in Seattle.

The young Huskies (2-2-1) faced a tough loss in overtime to Wisconsin earlier in the Invitational, but were able to adjust and come out with a tie in their second overtime of the season.

“Obviously leaving on Thursday night it was tough and it was a difficult position to be in, but at the end of the day we showed up today and we did our job,” keeper Siena Ruelas said.

Washington had 35 shots in the game. The last time the Huskies had 30 shots in a game was October 22, 2004 against Oregon State.

“We obviously created a ton of chances,” head coach Lesle Gallimore said. “Now the issue becomes our finishing. If you create that much you gotta be better in front of the goal.”

The UW’s ability to intercept passes in the attacking half helped the team create its shots.

The other side of the ball showcased an intense effort by the UW defense. While they only allowed one goal, the Huskies were able to limit the Spartans (4-0-1) to just five shots. Keeper Ruelas saved four shots and added to her season total of 18.

“Knowing that you have a back four that works so well together on and off the field (helps a lot),” Ruelas said. “Going into games you have confidence that we’re gonna play well.”

The UW goal came from Midfielder Olivia Van der Jagt in the 41st minute. The sophomore sent a shot to the top-right corner of the net to give UW it’s first lead of the game. Van der Jagt has now scored three goals for the season, all of which occured in the past four games.

Washington now has seven goals on the season, but only three of them have come from a forward.

“We have a lot of depth at forward, and we haven’t had a lot of forward goal scoring,” Gallimore said. “Now it’s about figuring out who’s got the swagger and the personality to put it on their back to be the one that’s gonna create chances and score.”

A Michigan State runout in the second half created its second shot of the game, which was saved by keeper Siena Ruelas pressuring the shooter. The rebound came out and MSU’s Lydia Franks got another clean shot on goal, and was saved again by UW, but this time by defender Taylor Sekrya on a header. The third chance of the sequence was too much for the Huskies as Franks was able to tie the game for the Spartans in the 64th minute.

Up Next:

Washington heads back to Portland to face off against UC Irvine Sept. 7 and Utah Valley Sept. 9

Reach contributing writer Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @JoshTreEddy