Following a strong 5-under team performance in the first round of the Franklin Regional at Vanderbilt Legends Course, the Washington men’s golf team shot 8-under 280 in the second round Tuesday. But despite another solid score, the Huskies fell three spots to sixth on the team leaderboard, with Virginia, LSU, and Vanderbilt gaining ground and passing the UW.

“It was a birdie shootout today,” head coach Matt Thurmond said. “We haven’t been in one of those for a long time.”

Texas followed up its impressive first round with a 17-under 271 Tuesday to move its tournament score to 37-under 539, holding a 17-stroke lead for first. The UW, the No. 4 seed in the Franklin Regional, sits just one stroke back from fifth place Kennesaw State.

The youngest player in the UW lineup, freshman Carl Yuan, continues to lead the Huskies in the regional tournament. Yuan followed up his 7-under 65 first round score with a 3-under 69 performance in the second. Yuan scattered five birdies over 18 holes, falling just one spot to third on the individual leaderboard.

The best round of the day for the UW came from another underclassman, sophomore Frank Garber, scoring 5-under 67 Tuesday. Garber shot eight birdies throughout the second round, and his only hole over par was a triple bogey on the 15th. Garber’s strong round boosted him to a tie for 19th, individually.

“We did all right but struggled to finish,” Thurmond said. “It was great to see Frank have a big round.”

Sophomore Corey Pereira matched his Monday score of even par in the second round, tying for 36th on the leaderboard. Senior Jonathan Sanders scored three strokes better Tuesday, posting even par as well. Senior Chris Babcock shot 3-over 75 to tie Sanders for 49th. Babcock was sitting at 1-under heading into the 15th hole, but bogeyed his final four holes of the day to finish 3-over.

Doug Ghim of Texas and Ryan Cole of James Madison sit tied on top of the individual standings, just one stroke ahead of Yuan.

The Franklin Regional concludes tomorrow with the third and final round, as the top five finishing teams will advance to Nationals in Eugene, Ore., later this month.

The UW will be paired with Vanderbilt and Kennesaw State for the final 18 holes, with a 7:50 a.m. tee time. The Huskies hope to gain some ground to earn a chance to compete on the national stage.

“We’re in decent shape,” Thurmond said. “With a good round tomorrow we will be on our way to the NCAA championships.”

Reach reporter Cody Tyo at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @codytyo