Garber

Junior Frank Garber tees off from the eighth hole. Garber finished the regional tied for 20th, and the UW men's golf team missed the cut.

After carding the most improved round of the NCAA regional tournament, the No. 30 Washington men’s golf team was unable to keep up its momentum, failing to qualify for the national championships Wednesday.

The Huskies, who hosted the tournament at Aldarra Golf Club in Sammamish, were on the bubble entering the final round, and needed to move into the top five to continue their post season. But after dropping one spot on the leaderboard, the UW finished in seventh place (17-over 869), seven strokes away from a top-five finish.

For the first time in the three-day tournament, Washington teed off from the first hole. The split-tee start continued through the final round, but as the UW ended the second day in sixth place, it started things off on the par-4 first hole.

Senior Corey Pereira had the worst start of the five-man roster, and double bogied to open his round. However, he recovered with six birdies and only one bogey to finish 3-under 68 on the final day. Pereira capped off his collegiate career with his best round of the tournament, as it was the only day he shot under par.

Pereira finished just outside the top 10 after shooting even-par 213. His performance Wednesday moved him 13 spots up the individual leaderboard to 11th place.

Sophomore Carl Yuan, who joined Pereira as one of the leaders this season, had one of the best starts. He opened with a birdie on the first hole, but followed up with two double bogeys on the front nine. He carded his next birdie 10 holes later, and shot two more along with a bogey to finish the back nine 2-under 34.

Yuan mirrored his round one score by finishing 2-over 73, which put him in a two-way tie with teammate junior Frank Garber. The pair finished the tournament tied for 20th place (4-over 217).

Garber was moving steadily through the front nine, as two birdies and a double bogey evened his scorecard before making the turn. He shot four consecutive pars before a birdie on the par-4 14th hole put him under par. However, he did not finish unscathed, and shot a double bogey and bogey on the 16th and 18th holes, respectively.

The two freshmen rounded out the UW’s lineup, both shooting over par to end their first year as Huskies. Henry Lee shot up three places on the individual leaderboard after carding 3-over 74. He finished tied for 34th place (9-over 222) with three other golfers. Daniel List was one stroke from finishing within the top 50, but eventually claimed a spot in the tie for 51st place (15-over 228). List was unable to shoot under par the entire day, with four bogeys and two double bogeys plaguing his scorecard.

Washington will enjoy some months off before getting back into the swing of things and preparing for the fall season.

Reach reporter Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez