Huskies victorious in Pac-12 home opener

• 0
Sommer

Senior Enzo Sommer celebrates a point last season. Sommer was the deciding factor in the Huskies victory against the Utes, their first conference win of the season. 

The Washington men’s tennis team defeated Utah 4-2 in a back and forth battle on Friday.

The Huskies (7-11) had to fight all night, taking a key doubles point and winning several big points in singles to clinch the victory.

Senior Enzo Sommer battled at No. 1 singles after losing the first set 3-6. Sommer was the aggressor in the second set, and took control of the match with his big forehand. In the third set, Sommer knew he had his opponent worn down, and maintained his composure to complete a 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 comeback. Sommer’s win clinched the match for the Huskies, and gave them their first win in Pac-12 play.

“It was really big for us to come through with this win,” Sommer said. “We knew we had a good shot after winning the doubles point, we’ve all been working really hard in practice and I’m glad that I could come through for the team.”

Winning the doubles point has been an issue for the Huskies this season, but the Dawgs got a big performance from sophomore Jack Davis and senior Piers Foley at No. 1 doubles. The No. 42 ranked duo defeated Utah’s David Micevski and Slava Shainyan 7-6 in a highly competitive set. The pairing of Davis and Foley used their aggressive serves to approach the net and take control of points during the set, and helped the dawgs win the doubles point.

Freshman Ewen Lumsden continued his strong play at No. 5 singles, defeating Mathias Gavelin 6-3, 6-3. Lumsden is now 6-3 this season in singles play.

Jack Davis also secured a crucial victory, defeating Slava Shainyan 7-5, 6-4 at No. 2 singles. Davis improved his singles record to 6-8 on the season.

The Huskies will look to build on tonight’s big victory when they face Arizona on Friday, April 5.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @cadenmconder