The season ended in heartbreaking fashion for the Washington men’s golf team Wednesday, as Virginia junior Jimmy Stanger birdied his final hole to put the Cavaliers one stroke above the Huskies.

The Huskies shot 8-under 280 as a team in the final round at the Franklin Regional tournament, and were unable to qualify for the national tournament since they did not place within the top five.

“It’s a really tough ending,” head coach Matt Thurmond said. “We really believed we would advance to the NCAA championship and do well there. So it’s a bitter pill.”

The UW entered the third round in sixth place, and matched Tuesday’s score to finish sixth overall. Texas ran away with the victory at the regional tournament with an impressive 45-under 819 for the three-day tournament.

“It was an extremely tough regional draw,” Thurmond said. “The play was at a very high level and our 21-under wasn’t good enough. We played and competed hard, but just came up one shot short.”

Vanderbilt, the hosting university, claimed second, followed by Houston, LSU, and Virginia, all of which will advance to the national tournament in Eugene, Ore.

Freshman Carl Yuan capped off the tournament of his career with an even-par showing in the third round, bringing his final score to 10-under 206. The rookie claimed fifth place individually, his strongest finish of the season. Yuan had some trouble Wednesday with four bogeys, but an eagle on the 14th hole brought him back to even par.

Junior Corey Pereira continued his consistent play in day three at regionals, posting his best score of the tournament at 2-under 72. Pereira’s four birdies throughout round three brought him to tie for 29th.

Sophomore Frank Garber shot 2-over 74 to follow his strong 5-under 67 round two. Garber struggled on the front nine, but rattled off five straight birdies to finish the back nine.

The best round of the day for the UW lineup came from senior Chris Babcock with a 4-under 68. Babcock shot five birdies on the front nine on his way to posting his strongest round of the tournament.

Senior Jonathan Sanders rounded out the lineup, also posting his tournament best. Sanders eagled the seventh hole to go along with three birdies, bringing his final round score to 2-under 70.

“I’m so sad to see it come to an end for our seniors,” Thurmond said. “We deeply appreciate their contributions and will miss them.”

Reach reporter Cody Tyo at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @codytyo