Season-high three-point mark doesn’t help Dawgs beat Cal in loss

• 0
Melgoza_Cal

Junior guard Amber Melgoza's four three-pointers and 27 points weren't enough to help Washington defeat California in Berkeley on Sunday. 

While the shots were falling, ultimately the Washington women’s basketball team wasn’t able to use that offensive momentum to defeat California as they fell, 79-70 in Berkeley, Calif.  

Led by junior guard Amber Melgoza, the Huskies (8-11, 1-6 Pac-12) were involved in a mostly back-and-forth game through three quarters, with the guard knocking down threes with consistency and putting pressure on the Bears (12-5, 3-3 Pac-12) inside.

By the end of the third quarter, the Dawgs had a two-point advantage. But to start the fourth, the Huskies couldn’t get the same rhythm going early into the final frame, and was outscored 30-19.

Pac-12 Player of the Year candidate Kristine Anigwe notched 30 points and 14 rebounds to grab her 17th double-double in 17 games so far this season.

While the Huskies weren’t able to come up with a win, they have to be happy with the performance they put in from the three-point line, where they shot for a season-high in makes in a 13-of-23 performance from distance.

Melgoza finished with 27 points, and a perfect four-for-four from deep, and sophomore Missy Peterson knocked down three-of-four daggers from deep to get the second highest point total for the Huskies with 15.

Next, the Huskies will take on the Oregon schools again next weekend, opening up at Alaska Airlines Arena on Friday against Oregon State.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz