Huskies suffer second straight loss to finish Gulf Coast Showcase

• 0
Moser

Jenna Moser scored a season-high 15 points in Washington's loss to Michigan.

After perhaps Jody Wynn’s most impressive win in her short tenure as head coach of the Washington women’s basketball team against Duke, the Huskies fell short against Michigan in the third place game at the Gulf Coast Showcase, 80-73.

The Huskies (3-3) had four players in double figures, with sophomore Amber Melgoza leading the way at 20 points, but a strong fourth quarter from the Wolverines (5-1) put the Dawgs away late.

Entering the fourth quarter tied at 55-55, the Huskies shot 67 percent from the field in the third quarter, and scored 24 points to keep the game tight with a team receiving votes in the latest AP Poll.

However, led by Nicole Munger, the Wolverines were able to put up 25 points on 57 percent shooting to ultimately win the game. Munger would finish with a career-high 27 points, with seven threes.

But perhaps the biggest difference in the game was the Wolverines’ height, where at 6-feet, 5-inches, Hallie Thome and co. were able to punish the Huskies down low to the tune of 16 second-chance points. Washington would finish with two. Compared to Washington’s 30 points in the paint, Michigan would grab 44.

For the Huskies, senior Jenna Moser put up a season-high 15 points, and Missy Peterson again broke her career high set just two games ago against the Blue Devils, scoring 18.

The Huskies will head back to Seattle, but won’t play in their home arena for their next game, when they take on Seattle U on Friday at 6 p.m.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz