The Washington men’s golf team played its final tournament of 2016. The Huskies competed in the Gifford Collegiate in Napa, Calif.

The three-day tournament at Silverado Resort and Spa had a unique layout. For the first time, competition began with 36 holes of stroke play.

The field of eight, including host UCLA, were seeded based on Monday’s results.

The Huskies escaped the first round in fifth place. After 36-holes of stroke play, Washington would face No. 6 seed UCLA in the semifinal round of match play Tuesday.

After the UW defeated UCLA 4-1-1, the Huskies went on to face Stanford. A loss against the Cardinal (3-2-1) placed Washington in the consolation bracket for the final round Wednesday.

Washington wasn’t able to pull out the lone victory, and tied Northwestern for third place.

The three days of play marked the end of a short fall season. The Huskies will return to the course in January, traveling to Arizona to compete in Arizona Intercollegiate.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez