In their first action on the road of the year, both the men’s and women’s sides of the Washington cross country team secured top-five finishes, with fourth-place finishes at the Dellinger Invitational in Eugene, Oregon.

Senior Amy-Eloise Neale, the defending Pac-12 Champion, led the UW women with a time of 19:15.64, good for sixth individually. Senior Izzi Batt-Doyle and junior Emily Hamlin each also earned top-20 finishes.

On the men’s side, senior Colby Gilbert placed fifth with a time of 23:47.37. Freshman Talon Hull came in just over seven seconds behind him to place 13th, and two seconds later, junior Mahmoud Moussa crossed the finish line in 15th place.

Gilbert held the honor of being the first man to cross the finish line not from BYU. The No. 6 Cougars swept the first four spots en route to an easy team win. Clayton Young took home the individual crown for BYU.

For the women, No. 2 Oregon had a good day on its home turf. Katie Rainsberger won the 6k race with a time of 18:47.6, a good 18 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher. The Ducks also took the No. 2 and 3 spots to win the team crown.

The Huskies will take next weekend off from competition, before going to Madison for the Wisconsin Invitational October 13 in their final tune-up before the Pac-12 Championships.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum