After a solid opening at the Sundodger Invitational last Sunday, the No. 26 Washington men’s cross country team finished as the runners up in the Battle in Beantown, the first major competition of the season in Boston.

The Huskies placed five runners in the top-25, good for 70 points. A strong start saw five UW runners in the top-10 at the 3K split. However, entering the final stretch, Washington was sitting in third as a team. That all changed with a strong final kick to bump the Huskies up one spot into the runner up spot.

In his first race in the purple and gold, senior transfer Tanner Anderson was the first Husky across the line, finishing sixth with a time of 24:15. Four seconds later, Sophomore Tibebu Proctor, crossed the line to grab 11th, one spot in front of fellow sophomore Talon Hull.

For the second consecutive race, junior Julius Diehr found himself in scoring position as the fourth Husky runner to finish. He ended up in 17th with a time of 24:33 before the scoring was rounded out by senior Mahmoud Moussa in 24th in his first race of the season.

Other notable finishers for the Huskies included junior Mick Stanovsek, who finished in 26th, just three seconds behind Moussa. Stanovsek, like Anderson, was also making his Washington debut after transferring from Oregon over the summer. Sophomore Nick Laccinole placed in 32nd for the Huskies while sophomore Nate Beamer finished in 39th, giving the Dawgs eight finishers in the top-40.   

As a team, the Huskies only placed behind No. 10 Syracuse, who won with 37 points after placing all five of its runners in the top-15. The Huskies picked up crucial wins against No. 30 Ole Miss, which finished in third with 77 points, No. 17 Virginia in fourth with 98 points, and No. 12 Campbell, which slipped to sixth with 189 points, despite having two  runners finish in the top-3.

The men go back at it on Oct. 12 when the compete at Pre-Nationals in Wisconsin. The UW women be in action though on Sept. 29 at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California.

Reach reporter Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita