Thybulle impresses in summer league, Nowell sits out with injury

• 0
Thybulle

Former Washington star Matisse Thybulle had the chance to showcase his skills in the NBA Summer League this past week with the Philadelphia 76ers. 

With some expected to make their summer league debuts and others trying to find a place in the league after overseas stints, the Huskies had a decent showing at the NBA Summer League this past week in Las Vegas. 

Headlined by recent draft picks Matisse Thybulle (Philadelphia 76ers) and Jaylen Nowell (Minnesota Timberwolves), the drafted duo were also joined by former UW point guard Abdul Gaddy (Orlando Magic) in the summer league. 

After all was said and done, Thybulle — Washington’s highest draft pick in the 2019 class — garnered the most attention and highlight performances. The 20th overall pick in this year’s draft averaged 11.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, two steals, and 1.2 blocks in five games. Despite a smooth looking stroke and an already improved-looking jumpshot, Thybulle shot just 43 percent from the field during the 76ers’ run. 

The Timberwolves had a lot of success, finishing as the summer league runner-ups, but it was without 2019 second-round pick and former UW guard Nowell, who missed every minute with a reported right quad injury in Vegas. 

Gaddy played his most minutes for the Magic in his first game, which was shortened by earthquakes in the area. Gaddy only scored two points in that game but secured five assists with just one turnover. He only played 18 more minutes in summer league but put together a solid seven-point, four-assist performance in Orlando’s closer against Chicago.  

Former UW guard Tony Wroten Jr. was on the Washington Wizards summer league roster originally, but when the Wizards began their slate in Vegas, he was not with the team. Wroten made an appearance in the Crawsover pro-am in Seattle just this past weekend. 

Reach Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz