Grey

Mireya Grey controls the ball against Oregon.

The Washington women’s soccer team was unable to overcome Arizona State’s big first half, and dropped its fifth straight in its 2-1 loss in Tempe.

In the first 45 minutes of play, the Huskies (7-8-1, 2-6 Pac-12) only faced five shots, with three on target, and conceded two goals.

The second goal for the Sun Devils (8-6-1, 4-3-1 Pac-12) came off a corner kick that just seemed to fly past the entire UW defense and find Nicole Douglas in the back of the box for an uncontested shot.

The two goals scored by the Sun Devils created the largest deficit the Huskies have carried into a halftime this season.

“We have be tougher in the box,” head coach Lesle Gallimore said. “I thought we had a bit of a defensive breakdown to give them an easy first goal, then we’re battling from down, and that’s tough to do when you haven’t been winning games.”

The second half was highlighted by keeper Siena Ruelas who saw three shots on target and saved all three. The junior made a diving save in the 72nd minute to keep a close-range shot from reaching the back of the net.

The UW offense came out of the break aggressive, and wasted no time getting its first goal of the match. In the 48th minute, forward Kennedy Smith cut into the box and crossed the ball to a waiting MaKayla Woods who drove it home for her first career goal.

The freshman had only seen 10 minutes of playing time coming into today’s match and scored on her first shot as a Husky. She was one of  21 players that saw time on the field today for the UW.

“It’s still that commitment to run hard in the box and be someone that wants goal-scoring on their shoulders and I don’t see that from enough people that get minutes,” Gallimore said. “That’s why we made so many changes today.”

Washington put up five more shots in the rest of the game but could not find the back of the net again, which ended the comeback one goal short.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @JoshTreEddy