The Washington men’s golf team finished the first two rounds of the Pac-12 championships Friday in fifth place after shooting 5-over 715 at The Country Club in Salt Lake City.

“The guys really fought back well and we had a respectable day,” head coach Matt Thurmond told GoHuskies.com. “I thought we played pretty solid overall. A couple teams played great and we have some ground to make up the next couple days.”

The Huskies made up some ground after the first 18 holes by taking five strokes off their 5-over 360 round-one finish. Senior Chris Babcock and junior Corey Pereira carried the team in the second round, shooting 3-under 68 and 2-under 69, respectively. Babcock is tied for 12th place and Pereira is tied for 18th.

“Babs played awesome today,” Thurmond told GoHuskies.com. “I’m really happy for him.”

Freshman Carl Yuan led the UW in the first round after shooting 2-under 69. Babcock and Pereira were close to par after the first 18 holes, but ended the round shooting 1-over 72.

Yuan recorded three eagles in the first nine holes and only one bogey around the turn. In the second round, Yuan dropped to tie for 26th place after six bogeys to finish 3-over 74.

After two rounds the Huskies are eight strokes off Stanford’s 22-under 688 lead. The UW will have to outplay California (17-under 693), USC (6-under 704), and No. 10 Arizona State (1-over 711) to have a shot at claiming the conference championship.

Senior Jonathan Sanders shot 3-over 74 for round one and 2-over 73 in the second. He ended the day tied for 38th at 5-over 147. Sophomore Frank Garber helped the Huskies in the first round after shooting 2-over 73, but his 4-over 75 second round did not count toward the UW’s score. He is tied for 40th at 6-over 148.

Sophomore Jordan Lu rounds out the UW’s field and had an impressive comeback in the second round. Lu shot 11-over 82 in the first 18 holes, but finished the last round even-par 71. He is tied for 64th, overall.

The UW will begin the third round at 9 a.m. Saturday paired with Arizona State and Colorado.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez