In its final meet of the regular season, the Washington cross country team will compete in the Nuttycombe Invitational in Wisconsin on Friday.

The No. 4 women’s cross country team moved up eight spots from its previous No. 12 ranking after taking down No. 9 Oregon at the Washington Invitational. The Huskies will face some tough competition including No. 1 Providence, No. 3 North Carolina State, and No. 6 Michigan State in Friday’s meet.

For the No. 23 men’s cross country team, top competitors will include No. 1 Northern Arizona, No. 2 Syracuse, and No. 3 BYU.

The men and women’s races will each have a total of 31 teams. Other Pac-12 teams competing are Colorado State, UCLA, No. 11 Stanford, Washington State in the men’s heat, and UCLA in the women’s.

In last season’s invite, the women finished in eighth place. Junior Katie Knight was the second Husky to finish the race, coming in 52nd. The Huskies have a great chance to improve upon last year’s finish, being the third-highest ranked team in the invitational.

The men placed 13th in the 2015 Nuttycombe Invitational. Alumnus Izaic Yorks finished in a notable seventh place, and junior Andrew Gardner was the next Husky across the finish line in 65th. The UW will have some tough competition at this weekend’s meet, but the Huskies have been getting stronger each race of the season.

The invitational will begin at 9 a.m. Friday at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course. The women’s 6,000-meter race will begin at 10:30 a.m., followed by the men’s 8,000-meter race at 11:20 a.m.

Reach reporter Carly Knight at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @carlyfries83