Olivia Gruver sets NCAA women’s pole vault record

• 0
Track

Senior Olivia Gruver cleared 15 feet, 6.25 inches early at today’s Stanford Invitational to set a new NCAA record in the outdoor women’s pole vault.

The former record was held by Arkansas’ Sandi Morris, whose mark of 15 feet, 5.83 inches lasted nearly four years. Gruver barely edged out the record in just the first outdoor meet of the season.

The standout smashed the previous school record of 14 feet, 6.22 inches, previously held by Kristina Owsinski from 2017, despite this being Gruver's first outdoor meet with the purple and gold.

She has already put together a highly decorated-collegiate career, including recently becoming NCAA champion at the 2018 Indoor and Outdoor Championship during her time at Kentucky. She also holds the second-best indoor mark for the women’s pole vault in NCAA history.

The Maryland native recently transferred to Seattle for her senior year along with vaults coach Toby Stevenson.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here.