Sports

This weekend, Washington’s softball and rowing teams, both among the best in their respective sports in the country, headed to national championships; softball to Oklahoma City, women’s crew to Indianapolis, and men’s crew to Gold River, Calif. Recap the weekend in national championships with all The Daily’s coverage from the past few days.

Softball

The No. 3 softball team didn’t get off to the best start in Oklahoma City at the Women’s College World Series, dropping its first game to No. 6 Arizona in extra innings to open up the championship tournament.

The loss sent to the Huskies to the elimination bracket, where they didn’t just face No. 7 Minnesota, but a three-hour lightning delay as well. After a 5-3 win over the Golden Gophers, the Huskies had to wait for the other side of the bracket to wrap up before they played again. Against Oklahoma State, senior Taran Alvelo threw a record-setting 16 strikeouts, making her the third pitcher in program history to do so in any game, and setting the program record for most in a WCWS performance.

On Sunday, the battle to make the championship series was a pitcher’s dual as Alvelo and sophomore Gabbie Plain took on No. 2 UCLA. The game went into extras still scoreless, but in the bottom of the 10th inning, UCLA pitcher Rachel Garcia hit a three-run walk-off home run to end Washington’s season.

Rowing

At the IRA national championships in Gold River, Calif., the men’s crew swept day one to advance to the national semifinals. The women won two of three at the NCAA championships in Indianapolis to advance to the semifinals as well, dropping the varsity eight to Texas by two seconds.

The next day was just as successful for both teams of Huskies. The women’s crew won all three races to advance to the grand final. While the men won only three of four races, all four boats advanced to the grand final, coming just behind Cal in the second varsity eight.

The women’s crew won the NCAA championships, sweeping all three grand final races. It’s the second time a school has swept the championships in NCAA history; the first time being the Huskies’ national title in 2017.

Men’s rowing won the Ten Eyck trophy, the team championship, at the IRA national championships, but couldn’t clinch the national championship deciding race, the varsity eight. They came in second place to Yale for the third straight year, and came just two seconds behind Cal in the second varsity eight. First place finishes in the third varsity eight and the varsity four, along with the two second place finishes, were enough to win the Huskies the team championship.

Reach The Daily Sports Staff at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @UWDailySports