UW’s struggles continue in 4-0 loss to ASU

• 0
190407_MTennis_Sommer

Enzo Sommer hits a forehand during the Huskies matchup with San Diego State on Friday, Feb. 22.

The Washington men’s tennis team fell to Arizona State on Sunday by a final of 4-0.

The Huskies (6-13, 1-3 Pac-12) have now lost four of their past five matches, and still are without a win away from their home courts.

Finding points in singles has not come easy for the Dawgs, and it was more tough sledding against the No. 32 Sun Devils.

Senior Enzo Sommer put up a strong fight at No. 1 singles, but was defeated by the Sun Devils’ Nathan Ponwith 4-6, 4-6. Sommer continues to fight in the top spot for the Huskies, but was unable to secure the crucial breaks needed to close out the first two sets.

Freshman Ewen Lumsden was also beaten in No. 5 singles, losing 3-6, 2-6. Lumsden still holds 13 total singles wins this season, the most from any Huskies player.

Losing the doubles point was devastating for Washington. After freshman pairing of Ewen Lumsden and Adam Torocsik won their set 6-4, No. 52 Jack Davis and Piers Foley had an opportunity to clinch the point for the Dawgs against the No. 9 doubles duo of Ponwith and Dominik Kellovsky.

Davis and Foley fought hard to push the match to a tiebreaker at 6-6, and had three set-point chances in the breaker to clinch the doubles point. Up 6-3 in the first-to-seven tiebreaker, the Sun Devil duo won five straight points to win the tiebreaker 8-6, and snatch the doubles point from the Huskies’ grasp.

A bright spot was the play of freshman Adam Torocsik, who won his match at doubles, and was leading his match at No. 6 singles 7-5, 3-4 when the match was called.

The Huskies will wrap up their conference season next week, when they face off against USC on Friday, and UCLA Saturday.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com  Twitter: @cadenmconder