Huskies begin conference play with win over Colorado

• 0
Fung

Senior Stacey Fung returns a serve by Kansas in Washington's March 1 upset over the Jayhawks. Fung won both her singles and doubles matches against Colorado.

The Washington women’s tennis team defeated Colorado 4-1 in its Pac-12 opener Friday. 

The Huskies (11-1) extended their win streak to six games, and maintained their No. 7 national ranking, the highest in program history since the 2004 season.

The success in doubles play this season continued for the Dawgs; after picking up two more doubles wins over Colorado, they are now 24-3 this season in doubles matches.

Sophomore Vanessa Wong and freshman Zoey Weil won their set 6-4, while the No. 43 rated duo of Stacey Fung and Nika Zupancic defeated Colorado’s Monica Malinen and Annabelle Andrinopoulos 6-3.

Wong, playing at No. 2 singles, won another three-set match, defeating Annabelle Andrinopoulos 1-6, 6-3, 6-3. Wong has shown an ability to fight back after losing the first set, and her mental strength has given the Huskies a big boost this season. On the year, she’s perfect in singles at 11-0, and has won three-setters in four of her past five singles matches.

At No. 1 singles, No. 69 Fung picked up another win, beating Sara Nayar 7-6, 6-4, and is now sixth all-time in program history with 87 career singles victories.

Playing in singles, freshman Sedona Gallagher secured the UW victory when she defeated Tallulah Farrow 6-4, 6-3. With the win, Gallagher improved her singles record to 6-2 on the season.

The Huskies play next at Utah on Sunday, March 10 in another conference matchup.

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder