NCAA Tournament projections: March 6

Where bracketologists are sending the Huskies

• 0

After a stunning loss to California in Berkeley, the Washington men’s basketball team’s tournament outlook took a bit of a hit heading into the final homestand of the season.

Bracket Matrix has them appearing on every single bracket, but as the Pac-12’s highest ranked team, that should be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has the Huskies (23-6, 14-2 Pac-12) as a No. 10 seed facing off against Iowa in Columbus, Ohio. A win over the Hawkeyes would lead to a likely matchup against No. 2 Kentucky.

Kerry Miller of Bleacher Report also has the Huskies traveling to Columbus as a No. 10 seed, this time to take on Louisville in the first round. If they escape the Cardinals, they will likely face Tennessee in the next round. In Miller’s opinion, the Dawgs can afford to drop one more game the rest of the way and still have a stress-free selection Sunday.

ESPN’s bracketologist Joe Lunardi presents an intriguing scenario in his latest update. He predicts the Huskies will go to Salt Lake City, Utah to play Syracuse as the No. 8 seed. This matchup would pit longtime Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins against his mentor and former coach Jim Boeheim. In case that wasn’t compelling enough, Lunardi has the Dawgs meeting up for a rematch against Gonzaga in the second round if both teams survive.

The regular season finale against the second-ranked team in the conference in NET rankings, Oregon, could be the Dawgs best chance to improve their seeding in front of a national audience watching on ESPN. If they win both games this homestand, they will enter the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas in a reasonably safe position.

Reach reporter Kyle Gehler at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KyleGehler