Rusnak, Mills close outdoor season on high note

• 0
Rusnak

Sophomore Hannah Rusnak runs the 800 on Friday, Feb. 22 at the MPSF Championships at Dempsey Indoor. In a strong second year for the multi-athlete, Rusnak finished her season just short of the podium at NCAA Championships. 

The Washington track and field team had a 2019 outdoor season filled with personal records, school records and 11 total All-Americans, with today putting a bow on the season at large.

Sophomore Hannah Rusnak opened the day in the long jump, which was the only event of the day in which she did not post a personal record. She did manage to jump 19 feet, 7.5 inches, and pull in a seventh-place finish, which kept her stable at eighth place overall.

The javelin was the big event for the sophomore Saturday, she only got a new personal record by one inch with her throw of 141 feet, 3 inches. That throw shot her up to third place overall in the standings with one event to go.

Rusnak ended her weekend with the 800-meter race, and was not able to stay within the top-eight after the conclusion of the race. She finished 22nd overall in the event and earned 707 points, which dropped her down to ninth overall for the Heptathlon, the best finish ever by a Washington athlete.

Her 5779 points was a personal best by 17 points, and fortifying her school record. She was just 14 points from receiving first team honors, but was still awarded Second Team All-America honors for the first time in her career.

The only other UW athlete to compete today was junior Darhian Mills in the 400-meter hurdles. She qualified for the final on Thursday after winning her heat, and finished seventh in the field of eight on Saturday. This matches the highest finish ever by a Husky in this event, held by Mari Bjone in 1991.

Her time of 57.76 was not a personal best for Mills, but she earned her first ever First Team All-America honor, and a podium appearance.

Mills added two more points for the women’s team to bring them up to 14 total on the weekend.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy