Huskies prepare for Army in first round of NCAAs

• 0

Stacey Fung returns during the Huskies' matchup with USC on April 12, 2019.

For the first time in over 10 years, the Washington women’s tennis team, will play host in the first round of the NCAA tournament this Friday, facing off against Army.

The Huskies (19-4, 8-2 Pac-12) are the No. 10 overall seed, and will host the first two rounds of the tournament for the first time since 2003. When playing at home this season, the No. 13 Huskies are a comfortable 11-2.

“Playing at home definitely has its advantages,” sophomore Vanessa Wong said. “We practice on these courts all day and we know how they bounce and how quick they are. Our fans have also been amazing, so with their support and the familiarity of being in Seattle, we’re really looking forward to getting started.”

Winning the doubles point will be a key to starting matches in front, and the Huskies duo of freshman Nika Zupancic and senior Stacey Fung looks to build on their already strong 19-8 regular season record in doubles. One week after defeating the current No. 1 doubles team from Arizona State, Fung and Zupancic are now ranked as the No. 23 team nationally.

Freshman Sedona Gallagher has been consistent for the Huskies all season, and will look to continue her winning ways against Army. Gallagher is 22-5 in singles this year, and had a perfect record of 9-0 in Pac-12 play.

Army owns a record of 22-7, and is on a three-match win streak after winning the Patriot League tournament. 

Washington is set to square off with Army on Friday at 5 p.m. The match will either be played outside at Quillian Tennis Stadium or at Nordstrom Tennis Center, depending on weather.

If the Huskies win, they’ll move on to face either Northwestern or Princeton at 3 p.m. on Saturday. 

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @cadenmconder