After nearly two full rounds of play, the Washington men’s golf team sits among the top three in the Arizona Intercollegiate.

The Huskies opened their 2017 spring season in Tucson, Ariz., along with some of the most elite golf teams in the country, including defending national champions No. 20 Oregon.

Three rounds were split between two days at Sewailo Golf Club, the par-71 course that has been home to the intercollegiate tournament for the past four years.

Washington began early Monday morning with sophomore Carl Yuan, junior Frank Garber, senior Corey Pereira, and freshmen Sam Warkentin and Henry Lee completing the five-man roster.

Things were going well for the Huskies as they started tied for second place behind Oregon early in the round.

After fluctuating between the second through fifth spots, Washington finished the first 18 holes in fourth place, carding 23-over 299. Pereira and Yuan led the first round efforts, as both finished 2-over 73.

Pereira nearly had an error free round with just a double bogey on the par-3 third hole and a bogey on the par-4 18th hole, the only marks on his scorecard besides the lone birdie he opened with.

Yuan had to make up for a double bogey and two bogeys on the fourth, sixth, and 17th holes, respectively. He chipped away at his 3-over front nine score with a birdie before making the turn. Another birdie on the par-5 14th hole offset Yuan’s late bogey for an even back nine.

Garber and Lee struggled with a combined 13 bogeys in the first round, and finished 5-over 76 and 6-over 77, respectively.

Warkentin ended the first 18 holes 8-over 79 after carding a triple bogey on the front and back nine. The Bainbridge Island native was able to record two birdies, but it wasn’t enough to sneak up the ranks and he rounded out the Huskies’ roster.

With a short break, round two began later in the afternoon with severe winds and lack of daylight threatening play.

The Huskies were able to get 13 holes in before play was called off until 7:45 a.m. Tuesday. When play resumes, Washington will complete round two with continuous play and keep the same pairings for the final round.

For now, Washington holds on to third place, shooting at 21-over, and sits behind Oregon (16-over) and California (20-over).

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez