Huskies' season comes to an end in Orlando

• 0

Stacey Fung returns a serve during the Huskies' matchup against Princeton in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The final chapter of the Washington women’s tennis team’s season came to a close Tuesday night, as Stacey Fung and Nika Zupancic dropped a tough doubles match, and Fung fell in the singles Round of 32.

In singles, senior Stacey Fung fell to VCU’s Paola Delgado 4-6, 5-7 in a tightly contested match. Delgado was able to get ahead early in the first set, but Fung scrapped back to earn a 3-1 advantage early in the second set. Delgado was able to rally however, and closed out the match by winning six of the last eight games in the set.

Before Tuesday’s defeat, Fung had won three straight matches over ranked opponents, and was making her third straight appearance in NCAA singles competition. Fung closes out her Husky career with 91 total singles victories, tied for fifth in program history.

After her singles match and a short break, Fung moved on to play with Zupancic in doubles. The Huskies came out prepared against Georgia’s No. 28 Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle. Fung and Zupancic ran out to an early 3-1 lead in the first set, before the Bulldogs won six of the next seven games to take the set 6-4. In the second set the Dawgs faltered, falling by a score of 6-1.

As a doubles unit, Fung and Zupancic finished the season with a 20-10 record, and an 8-3 line in tournament play.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com  Twitter: @cadenmconder