The Washington women’s golf team began its 2018 spring season with a ninth-place finish at the Northrop-Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, California. The Dawgs climbed two places Monday to finish with a total score of 42-over 894 (297, 299, 298), 27 shots back of first-place UCLA.

Junior Sarah Rhee ended the tournament with the best result for the UW, shooting 1-over 72 for the second day straight to finish in a tie for 16th.

Junior Wenyung Keh finished in a tie for 18th, one shot behind Rhee. Sophomore Karen Miyamoto finished 15 shots over par on the weekend to come in 49th.

Julianne Alvarez shot 19-over 232 (73, 77, 82), closing out competition with a tough round, including a triple-bogey on 16 to finish in a tie for 67th. Freshman Rino Sasaki finished a shot behind her in a tie for 69th.

Washington finished the first day tied for ninth, shooting a combined 13-over 297. Keh and Alvarez finished in a tie for 19th, shooting 2-over 73 to be five strokes off of the lead. Miyamoto followed with a 4-over 75 to finish tied for 39th, and Rhee saw herself in a tie for 53rd in a tight field at 5-over 76. Sasaki finished off the UW’s day one results with 10-over 81 to put her in 87th.

Sunday, the Dawgs fell two spots to 11th place in tough windy, rainy conditions. Keh led the team, tied at 23rd. Rhee was the big story of the day, jumping 20 spots to reach 33rd after shooting 1-over 72 on the day. Alvarez fell in the rankings with a 6-over 77 day. Miyamoto dropped to 54th, and Sasaki climbed 11 spots with a five-stroke improvement. 

Washington takes the next weekend off from competition, and will be back at it Feb. 26 in San Luis Obispo, California, at the Bruin Wave Invitational.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum