Batt-Doyle caps off strong day for UW women with Pac-12 gold

• 0
Izzi Batt-Doyle

Senior Izzi Batt-Doyle sprints to the finish line during the the 5000 meter run at the Husky Classic, in which she broke the school record but 15 seconds. Saturday night in Tucson, Ariz., Batt-Doyle captured her first Pac-12 title in the 10,000 meters. 

Early in the evening, the Washington track and field was rolling, unfortunately so was the thunder, delaying the action in Tucson, Ariz. for over three hours.

The delay proved no problem for Izzi Batt-Doyle in the 10,000-meter race. The Australia native has been dynamite in 2019, and her Pac-12 title was just a cherry on top.

The senior ran a 33:31.30 to win the event by a margin of just over five seconds. The race concluded just minutes before the clock struck 1 a.m. PT.

Her ten points helped the women’s team reach 36 points after just four events, four more than they scored at last season’s Pac-12 Championships after all 21 events were scored. They currently sit just four points behind the leader Colorado after one day of competition, after finishing ninth last year.

The first male to earn points for the Huskies today was javelin thrower Denham Patricelli, who secured a second place finish behind two consecutive PR’s late in his event.

Patricelli threw a personal best on his fifth attempt of 239 feet and 4 inches, launching him into the lead. He then extended that lead by tacking on a couple more feet to land another best of 241 feet and 6 inches. Unfortunately the former leader, Simon Litzell from UCLA, was able to jump back in front on his last attempt to take Pac-12 gold.

The UW standout’s final throw now puts him into fifth place heading into the NCAA West regional meet in just a couple short weeks. The senior’s mark is also the fifth-best in school history.

On the track, seven individual Huskies qualified for the final in their respective events.

The most dominant group of those runners was the women competing in the 1500 meter race. Katie Rainsberger got back to her winning ways by edging out the competition to finish first with a time of 4:19.92. Allie Schadler and Anna Maxwell placed seventh and 11th, and will be competing in the final tomorrow as well.

For the men’s side only two Huskies competed in the 1500m, and both will be heading to the final. Mick Stanovsek won his heat, and was second overall with a time of 3:49.35. Issac Green took fifth in that same heat to automatically qualify himself.

Hannah Rusnak was not done after winning the Pac-12 title in the Heptathlon nearly a week ago, she returned to Tucson, and put up a PR of 13.59 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles. Her sixth place finish punched her ticket to the final tomorrow.

After the three-hour delay the Dawgs didn’t seem to miss a beat. The next event was the steeplechase and Julius Diehr, Alex Slenning, and Nicholas Laccinole finished fourth, fifth, and seventh, earning 11 points for Washington.

Shortly after, the two women in the steeplechase lived up to the standard, with Emily Hamlin finishing second with a time of 10:08.09. Sophomore Shona McCulloch grabbed a fifth place finish with her huge PR of 10:23.02.

After the first day of the weekend, the men’s team sits in fourth with 35 points.

Other notes

- Evan Mafilas ran a 47.18 in the 400m to snag the last final-qualifying spot.

- The women’s 4x100 meter relay finished ninth and will be competing again tomorrow.

- Jonah Wilson took fifth in the shot put with a throw of 62 feet and 5.75 inches.

- Samuel Richmond had a big PR of 24 feet and 3 inches in the long jump, finished eighth.

- Tibebu Proctor (29:24.23) and Tanner Anderson (29:41.04) took fourth and eighth in the men’s 10,000m.

- Senior Katherine Taylor reached another new PR of 155 feet and 4 inches in her first throw in the javelin to capture a fifth-place finish.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy