Huskies’ losing streak reaches three with loss to Beavers

• 0
Coffee

Redshirt senior Kyle Coffee had one assist in Washington's loss to Oregon State.

On a night obscured by football, the Washington men’s soccer team went to Corvallis looking for revenge on Oregon State, the team that defeated them 4-3 in last year’s regular season finale. But on Saturday night, there was no good luck for the Huskies as they fell in their Pac-12 opener to the Beavers 4-2.

Washington fired shot after shot at the opposing goal for the first 25 minutes, but from there it was OSU’s game. The Beavers (5-2-2) scored midway through the first half, then piled it on with three second half goals. And even though the Huskies (5-4) got two of their own in the latter half, the contest was too far out of reach.

The three-game losing streak is Washington’s longest since 2008, when the UW lost its last three regular season games and four of its last five.

The Huskies had plenty of opportunities to score in the opening moments. Redshirt junior midfielder Joey Parish and redshirt senior forward Scott Menzies each took multiple shots early as part of a 5-2 shot advantage in the first 20 minutes. They weren’t able to find the back of the net, however, and in the 26th minute, Oregon State took its opportunity to retaliate on the offensive end.

During a scramble in the box, redshirt junior goalkeeper Saif Kerawala slid out to attempt a save on an OSU shot, but the ball caromed off the post and found OSU sophomore midfielder Joel Walker, who tapped it in from close range to give the Beavers a 1-0 lead.

In the 42nd minute, some good interplay by the Huskies resulted in the ball finding junior midfielder Daniel Ribas, who had a one-on-one with the keeper with a chance to tie the game. Ribas took the shot, but the keeper turned it away at the last moment as he was running up to the ball.

The floodgates opened to start the second half, and the scoring never let up. The only problem: the Beavers were the ones doing most of it.

In the 50th minute, OSU freshman midfielder Albert Pedra fed fellow freshman Sofiane Djeffal for an easy shot at the top of the box, which he easily converted to double up his team’s lead.

Senior midfielder Corban Anderson gave Washington a glimmer of hope in the 63rd minute. Redshirt senior forward Kyle Coffee, who’s normally on the scoring end of the UW’s goals, fed in a beautiful cross into the box that found Anderson, and Anderson finished the job, scoring only the second goal of his career to cut the Beavers’ lead in half.

Nine minutes later, however, that hope started to disappear. Freshman forward Gloire Amanda found his way into the box and finished in tight off a deflection to extend his team’s lead to three. Then, three minutes after that, OSU took the rest of the UW’s hope away. Off a Washington turnover, Pedra set up senior forward Don Tchilao on the left side of goal, and Tchilao placed a shot just past the diving Kerawala to make the score 4-1 Beavers.

Sophomore midfielder James Smith converted a penalty kick in the 83rd minute to cut the lead to two, but by then it was far too late for the Huskies to make a comeback effort.

Washington will have some time to re-evaluate itself before the next game on its conference schedule: a road matchup against UCLA. That contest will begin this coming Thursday at 8 p.m.   

Reach reporter Chris Angkico at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @chrisangkico