Fung advances to singles Round of 32 after upset win

• 0
Fung

Senior Stacey Fung reaches for a ball in a team postseason match against Princeton. Fung defeated No. 14 Gabriela Knutson in straight sets to advance to the second round of the NCAA Singles tournament for the third time of her career. 

Competing at the NCAA Individual Championships in Orlando, senior Stacey Fung breezed through her first round singles match early this morning.

No. 57 Fung showed up to the courts ready for a battle, playing against Syracuse’s No. 14 Gabriela Knutson. Fung controlled the whole match against her highly-rated opponent, defeating Knutson 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets. Fung’s consistent and controlled style frustrated Knutson into making unforced errors, and allowed the pressure of the moment to affect her mentally.

Fung has made a habit of taking down ranked players this season, and has proven she has the ability to pull off the upset when she’s hitting the ball cleanly. With today’s victory, Fung is now 18-10 in singles this season, with a 6-6 record against nationally ranked players.

Fung has now won her first-round singles match each of the past three years of the NCAA tournament, but has yet to advance past the second round. Fung will have that opportunity tomorrow, where she will face the winner of VCU’s No. 77 Paola Delgado and Stanford’s No. 29 Melissa Lord in the Round of 32.

Fung will also compete alongside partner Nika Zupancic in the doubles tournament tomorrow against No. 29 Lourdes Carle and Katarina Jokic of Georgia. Fung and Zupancic are ranked as the No. 23 overall pair, nationally.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com  Twitter: @cadenmconder