Garber

Junior Frank Garber tees off from the 12th hole.

The No. 30 Washington men’s golf team concluded day one of NCAA regionals rounding out the top 10. As hosts, the Huskies traveled about 30 minutes east to Aldarra Golf Club in Sammamish for the first of three rounds spanning Monday-Wednesday.

In the field of 14, only the top five schools will advance to the national championships. Right now, the UW is eight strokes from making the cut and sits in 10th place after shooting 11-over 295.

No Husky was able to shoot even or under par in the first round Monday. However, sophomore Carl Yuan and senior Corey Pereira emerged as leaders after the first 18 holes. Both finished 2-over 73 with nearly identical paths to tie for 27th place.

Both were plagued with a double bogey. Pereira’s came on the 10th hole, which opened the round due to a split-tee start. Yuan recorded his after he made the turn on the par-5 third hole.

Pereira and Yuan both carded three birdies and three bogeys each. Pereira finished the first nine holes only 2-over 38 after shooting par on holes 11-18. Much of his success and shortcomings came after the turn, where he recorded all three birdies and bogeys. Yuan had a different approach to the 11-way tie for 27th place. His birdies came on the par-5 12th hole and the par-4 17th and 18th holes.      

Junior Frank Garber was close to finishing one stroke ahead of the team’s leaders, but a double bogey on the par-5 seventh hole ruined his chance. Garber started the first day of play with five consecutive pars but then shot a double bogey on the tricky par-3 15th hole.

He followed that with a bogey on 16 and finally recovered with a birdie on 17. One more bogey and two birdies after the turn would have put him in the clubhouse at 1-over 72 for the day. But after shooting 2-over on the seventh hole, Garber sits tied for 38th place (3-over 74).  

Freshmen Daniel List and Henry Lee both finished tied for 45th place (4-over 75). But unlike Pereira and Yuan, both had very different scorecards.  

List led the Huskies as the No. 1 golfer but had the second worst start, shooting a bogey on the par-4 10th hole. Over the next 10 holes, he carded four more bogeys and was only able to get one birdie in before signing his scorecard.

Lee, however, was one of only two Husky golfers to shoot under par after nine holes. He finished the opening nine at 1-under 35 after a birdie on the par-4 18th hole, arguably one of the toughest holes in the state. After making the turn, he opened with a double bogey on the dogleg left par-4 first hole,<CQ4> and ended with four consecutive bogeys.    

No. 24 Florida State leads the field after going 6-under 278 in the first round. No. 1 USC is just two strokes back at 4-under 280, and No. 36 Alabama was the only other team to shoot under par (1-under 283).  

Washington will tee off with Michigan and Seattle University for round two of the NCAA regionals. Lee will be the first to tee off from the 10th hole at 8 a.m.

Reach reporter Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez