On Monday the Washington women’s golf team tried to rebound from its first-round efforts at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge.

The Huskies opened their 2017 season at the Palos Verdes Golf Club, competing in a tough field with 14 other schools including Pac-12 rivals USC, Arizona State, UCLA, California, and Arizona.

After falling into last place shooting 22-over 306 in round one, Washington followed its day-one performance carding 12-over 296. The UW’s 10-stroke improvement was led by freshman Karen Miyamoto.

The Chiba, Japan native shot 1-under 70 in the second round after carding four birdies and three bogeys. Miyamoto had the most trouble on the back nine, with back-to-back bogeys on the par-4 12th and 13th holes and another on the par-4 18th hole.

Washington teed off in the last group of the day, and because of the shotgun start the Huskies began their round on the back nine and ended round two on the ninth hole.

After the turn, Miyamoto recorded three of her four birdies for the team’s best round of the day. She jumped up from 83rd place to a nine-way tie for 49th. Sophomore Wenyung Keh followed shooting 2-over 73. Keh would have finished at even par, but a double bogey early in her round stained her scorecard and put her in a tie for 40th place.

Sophomore Sarah Rhee finished the second day of competition carding 5-over 76. Rhee’s two birdies weren’t enough to make up for the seven bogeys she accumulated. Despite that, she moved up the individual leaderboard and now sits at 83rd place going into the final day of competition.

Junior Christina Wang and sophomore Julianne Alvarez both shot 6-over 77 on Monday. Alvarez started strong, carding 1-under 35 on the back nine, but after making the turn she recorded five bogeys and one double bogey. She dropped over 30 places to tie for 65th.

Wang also struggled on the front nine, but only dropped one place to a two-way tie for 79th.

Freshman Eun Won Park has been competing in the individual tournament in Palos Verdes, and after two rounds she sits in 84th place at 17-over 159.

Washington will tee off at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday for the final round. Joining the UW will be Ohio State and Tennessee.

Reach Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez