Dawgs lose battle in the paint against the Cardinal in loss

• 0
Peterson.

Sophomore guard Missy Peterson shoots a jumper in Washington's Jan. 11 game against Colorado. Peterson had nine points in the UW's loss at Stanford.

Outmatched from the start, the Washington women’s basketball team fell to No. 6 Stanford 91-54 at Maples Pavilion in Palo Alto, Calif.

After the first five minutes, the Huskies (8-10, 1-5 Pac-12) had only made one basket, a layup by junior Amber Melgoza. It was a struggle to score in the first quarter, as Washington finished the first 10 minutes with 11 points. Stanford had 27.

By the end of the first half, the Cardinal (15-1, 5-0 Pac-12) led the Huskies 44-27. Washington was shooting just 36 percent from the field and had 10 turnovers, while Stanford was shooting 50 percent from the field, and had 10 assists on 18 made baskets.

“We can’t turn the ball over as much as we are,” Wynn said told Pac-12 Networks at halftime.

The second half didn’t go much better for the Dawgs, and after narrowing the deficit a bit into the third quarter, Stanford finished the quarter on a 17-3 run to take a 30-point lead into the fourth.

Alanna Smith led the Cardinal with 27 points, 13 rebounds, and three blocks. Kiana Williams put in another 22. Stanford took 22 more shots than UW did.

On the Huskies end, no player reached double figures; sophomores Khayla Rooks and Missy Peterson led Washington in points with nine.

Washington takes on Cal next this Sunday at 2 p.m.

Reach Assistant Sports Editor Alec Dietz at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @AlecDietz

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here