Beach Dawgs keep their season alive beating Utah after loss to USC

• 0

The Washington beach volleyball team started the Pac- 12 tournament off with a loss to No. 8 USC 3-0 after cutting some games short after the Trojans (25-4) already had the win due to time running long.

The Huskies (9-15) came in as the seventh seed for the tournament and faced Utah right after their loss to USC to stay alive in the double- elimination tournament. The Utes (5-9) put up a hard fight for the Dawgs, but the UW pulled through in the extra points, winning the match 3-2.

Game 1

First to finish for the UW against USC was the No. 4 pair of Samantha Drechsel and Emma Calle who put up the most fight against the Trojans. They won the first set 21-19 but then were dominated by USC in the second set 21-11. To finish the match they lost 15-13 in the last set.

After that USC took control beating, No. 1 seniors Destiny Julye and Kristen Gengenbacher 21-12, 21-12. No. 2 sophomore Kara Bajema and junior Shayne McPherson lost 21-15, 16-15. At No. 3 senior Cat McCoy and sophomore Avie Niece fell 21-19, 14-12. And to round out the match was a loss at No. 5 from freshman Callie Weber and sophomore Chloe Newton 21-19, 21-18.

After the loss, the Huskies were playing to keep their season alive against Utah.

Game 2

Drechsel and Calle took the first UW win at No. 4, 21-7, 21-13.

Next, Newton and Weber stole the first set at No. 5 21-18 and fought hard but lost the second 21-18. It came down to the final set and UW had an early lead but the Utes came back at the end to win 15-13.

Gengenbacher and Julye took a hard loss at No. 1 21-14, 21-13, followed by Bajema and McPherson at No. 2 who won easily 21-17, 21-14, tying the match up 2-2 with one game left.

It all came down to the No. 3 pair of McCoy and Niece who won the first set 21-18. In the second set it was neck and neck and tied at 18-18 at one point until the Utes pulled away in the end 21-18. In the final set it was a gritty fight from both sides going into extra points but in the end Washington pulled through 16-14 to win the dual and go on to play tomorrow.

Tomorrow the action continues for the Dawgs with day two of the Pac- 12 tournament.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee  

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here