The No. 13 Washington gymnastics team set out to achieve one major goal in Tempe: score a 197 for the second week in a row. With strong team performances on all four events the Huskies did just that, overtaking No. 17 Arizona State 197.025 to 196.525.

Senior Hailey Burleson, junior Mallory Rose, and sophomore Evanni Roberson tied for the top spot on beam with matching 9.900s. It was a career high for both Roberson and Rose, who returned to the beam lineup only two weeks ago.

Burleson and Roberson also tied for the title on vault with 9.875s, and Burleson tied for first place all around with Arizona State’s Cairo Leonard-Baker with a season high 39.525. Roberson’s all around score of a 39.425 was yet again a career-high.

While those gymnasts performances led the Huskies, it was strong scores across the board that allowed them to not just meet a team goal of matching last week’s 197.000, but surpass it.

Junior Monica Riley once again led the Huskies on bars with a 9.875, Burleson and sophomore Madison Copiak close behind her with 9.850s. The team tied its season high 49.200.

The Huskies started off on bars, and led heading into the second rotation, vault. Riley fell on vault, but Roberson and Burleson’s top scores were able to make up for the lost points, and the team scored a 49.125. Despite that score being one of the team’s better vault performances of the season, a strong bars performance by the Sun Devils left the Dawgs trailing after the second rotation.

However, the Huskies were on the floor third, and they more than made up for the .025 disparity.

Washington’s best event this season has been floor, and that didn’t change as the team scored yet another 49.375, their highest floor score on the road and a twice-met season high at home. Again, both sophomore Maya Washington and Burleson scored 9.900s to share the team lead, but the Huskies other four floor competitors were close behind, scoring two 9.875s and two 9.825s.  

On beam, it was Rose, Roberson, and Burleson who pushed the Huskies to a team 49.325. The extra .025 on that score was just enough for the Huskies to improve on last week’s benchmark performance and meet the goal of repeating a 197.

After a stumble in Utah, the Huskies are back on the track of constant improvement heading into the last in a four-meet run against challenging Pac-12 teams against Stanford at home.

Reach Managing Editor Hailey Robinson at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @haileyarobin