Beach Dawgs head to Hawaii

• 0

Coming off a tough week, the Washington beach volleyball team is heading to warmer weather to face some new teams outside of the Pac-12 in the Hawaii Invitational.

The Huskies (6-10) played some of the top teams in the country this past weekend, so this tournament is an opportunity to show that they are still a force and can compete.

First, the Dawgs will play San Jose State, which is coming off of a school-record-breaking 11th win of the season.

Next, Washington will take on Loyola Marymount. The Lions (19-8) have an impressive and extensive record so far this season so they will present a challenge for the Dawgs as well.

The biggest game for the UW this weekend will be the home team, No. 6 Hawai’i. The Rainbow Warriors (18-7) will play Washington later in the day after the Huskies have already played two games, so fatigue might start to set in.

Along with fatigue, the hot weather that the Beach Dawgs aren’t necessarily used to will be another factor that could contribute to challenges with their play.

In the midst of a four-game losing streak, the Dawgs have something to prove as the season winds down and with Pac-12 playoffs around the corner.

Based off the results of the three games on Saturday, there will be playoffs for the tournament taking place on Sunday and Monday. Play times and who the Huskies will face are still to be determined.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @madison_macphee