This week, the Washington cross country team prepares to fly out to Madison, Wisconsin, to participate in the ninth annual Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational presented by Under Armor. The 2017 iteration will see the Husky women return as defending champions, having won this race with 124 points last year. 

Both the men’s and the women’s teams are coming off fourth-place finishes at the Dellinger Invitational in Eugene, Oregon, where defending Pac-12 champion senior Amy-Eloise Neale led the UW women with a sixth place finish while senior Colby Gilbert topped the Huskies men’s positions by finishing fifth. 

In Madison, the men will race against some of the top schools in the division, including No. 1 Northern Arizona, No. 3 Syracuse, and No. 4 Stanford. A total of 35 teams will participate. 

The women, ranked No. 11 by the NCAA, are also competing against some of the best teams, going up against a field of 33 teams that includes No. 3 New Mexico, No. 5 Stanford, and No. 7 North Carolina State. 

Both races will take place at Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course on Friday, Oct. 13. This is the team’s last race before Pac-12 Championships.    

Reach Contributing Writer Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com