The Washington women’s golf team went down to Pebble Beach looking to prove itself and left with a sorely missed opportunity to capitalize. A strong start put the Huskies in third place after a sunny and cool first day on the Poppy Hills Course, but along with the weather, the Dawgs’ hopes went south as they finished tied for sixth overall. Three Pac-12 schools finished ahead of Washington with UCLA, Stanford, and California finishing first, second, and fourth, respectively. 

Washington came out strong with their best team score of the three days at 291. Although the team didn’t move down far with a second day score of 293, they didn’t improve and other schools took advantage. By the third day, their score slipped to 302. 

Perhaps the declining weather was to blame for the tough second and third day performance, but whatever the case, the Huskies shouldn’t be discouraged with some positive takeaways from the tournament. Two individuals from Washington scored well enough to place within the top 20. 

Junior Wenyung Keh led the team in scoring with a final score of +2, good enough to tie for eighth in the field. Coming in behind her was freshman Rino Sasaki scoring +6 and tying for 17th. While the other three golfers competing for Washington failed to place within the top 30, two managed to break even on one half of the course. 

As the Huskies recover from the three-day tournament, they have their eyes on their next challenge: Hawaii. The team will look to improve on their already strong starts to the year at Kailua Kona, Hawaii, to compete in the Pac-12 Preview on Oct. 23. 

The team can be followed live with scoring from golfstat.com

Reach contributing writer Elie Klasky-Gamer sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @elieklaskygamer