The No. 12 Washington women’s cross country team dominated in the Washington Invitational on Saturday as it took down No. 4 Oregon by a large margin.

The Huskies finished in first, third, fifth, seventh, and eighth place, earning 24 points for first place. Oregon finished second with 57 points, and Harvard followed in third with 78.

Leading the race virtually the entire way was sophomore Charlotte Prouse. Oregon’s runner freshman Katie Rainsberger came close to catching up with Prouse at the end of the race, but the London, Ontario native ended up finishing six seconds ahead of the rest of the field. Prouse’s time, 19:36, was just 21 seconds off of the course record.

Junior Amy-Eloise Neale came in third with a time of 19:47, and junior Katie Knight finished fifth with a time of 20:04. Freshmen Kaitlyn Neal and Nikki Zielinski finished in seventh (20:11) and eighth (20:19).

“I am really proud of my team and everything that we’ve put together and accomplished so far this season,” Knight said. “It’s a step in the right direction for us.”

Though the No. 21 Washington men were not able to beat Oregon, the Huskies did put on a solid performance. The UW came in third with 64 points following No. 3 Oregon, which placed first with 26 points, and No. 29 Colorado State, which claimed second with 39 points.

“Our men ran well. If we look at results I think it’s even maybe as good of a performance as we ran last year,” head coach Greg Metcalf said. “We’re getting a little better, and the men’s game is about running 10,000-meters twice in November, and we’re heading in that direction.”

Junior Colby Gilbert led the race with Oregon senior Edward Cheserek for most of the way. Juniors Johnathan Stevens, Fred Huxham, and Andrew Gardner were not far behind the leaders for most of the way.

With a little under a mile to go, Cheserek began to pull away from the other runners, and Gilbert fell behind to ultimately finish in fifth place. Cheserek won the race with a time of 23:06, and Gilbert came in at 23:29.

The next Husky to finish was Stevens, who finished eighth with a time of 23:37. Gardner and Huxham finished 15th (23:49) and 16th (23:57).

The UW will take a week off before heading to Wisconsin to compete in the Wisconsin Invitational on October 14.

Reach reporter Carly Knight at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @carlyfries83