The No. 40 Washington women’s golf team continued its efforts defending its national championship in the second round of the NCAA Albuquerque Regionals on Tuesday. Joined by 17 other teams, the Huskies completed 36 holes of the three-day tournament at the Championship Course in New Mexico.

Despite the UW dropping three places on the leaderboard, it still remains three strokes above the cut off. Only the top six teams will be advancing to the national championships next week, and at 11-over 587, Washington just makes the cut.

Sophomore Julianne Alvarez followed her even-par round-one performance by carding a 3-under 69 on Tuesday. She remains in a two-way tie for second place. Alvarez only had two hiccups, recording bogeys on the par-4 sixth and 10th holes.

The only other Husky on the five-woman roster to finish under or at par was freshman Ellen Takada. She propelled 11 spots up the individual leaderboard after shooting even-par 72. Takada had a steady performance after two double bogeys and 10 bogeys plagued her first round. As the tournament continued with split tee starts, Takada opened her round with a birdie on the par-3 11th hole. Four holes later she shot a bogey to even her scorecard, and after carding par for the remaining holes she is tied for 81st place (13-over 157).

Sophomores Wenyung Keh and Sarah Rhee, who were both a part of the championship team with Alvarez, joined five others in a tie for 31st place (4-over 148). Washington’s No. 3 golfer, freshman Karen Miyamoto, ended the day 10 places ahead of Takada after carding 11-over 155.

The UW will begin the final round from the first hole, teeing off between 8:24-9 a.m. with California and Campbell.

Reach reporter Alexis Mansanarez at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @almansanarez